Exchange Programmes

Exchange Programmes 2017-09-06T09:57:22+02:00

With its excellent quality of life, as well as schools in proximity to the sea, cultural and entertainment hotspots, Malta is a favourite choice among students seeking to undertake a study experience abroad.

All hosting institutions have their own international offices that are available to help all incoming students by answering any questions they may have about the courses, funding, housing and general paperwork.

Exchange programmes are available both for students hailing from the European Union, such as Erasmus+, as well as non-EU students, who may benefit from International Exchange programmes.

Erasmus+ is a European Union mobility programme that gives students the opportunity to experience studying abroad or working through a traineeship in the hope of building a sense of interconnectivity across Europe whilst training independent and self-sufficient individuals. Studying in Malta has proven to be an enriching experience for many Erasmus students, with the added benefit that lectures are delivered in English, making it is generally easier for the students to follow.

Although Malta has a bilateral agreement with many universities across the EU, interested students should first check with their own institution to see with whether a bilateral agreement is indeed in place. They should then apply to the receiving institution and if accepted are given a grant issued through the European Commission.

Education institutions in Malta also participate in other international exchange programmes that focus on countries that are outside of the European Union. The University of Malta, for example, has agreements with various universities around the world, including universities in Australia, Canada, China, Japan and the USA. One such programme is the International Student Exchange Program (ISEP), which is one of the largest study abroad membership networks in the world with more than 300 partner universities in over 50 countries.

Interested students should contact their own education institution to see if a bilateral agreement exists and, in that case, what the funding and scholarship opportunities available for them would be.